One of the reasons for the gender pay gap closing is because of men's declining wages. Can it really be men deciding to pay women less or is it something more structural?
Almost half of the progress made toward closing the gender pay gap since 1979 is not due to women’s gains in the workplace, but to men’s wages falling and the sharp rise in overall inequality, according to a grave new report released Wednesday. Women in the US have made lopsided advances in education, and they have entered the workforce in growing numbers and at higher-paying positions than before. But the researchers found that those strides only accounted for 60% of the reason why women’s compensation is approaching parity with men’s. The other 40% is the work of an illusion: as men’s wages are disproportionately hurt by globalization and the decline of unions, women have only appeared to catch up.